Subject: Re: security/libgpg-error fails on Solaris
To: Ulrich Habel <>
From: Raymond Meyer <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/04/2006 15:36:02
On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 16:00:02 +0100
Ulrich Habel <> wrote:

> Hej Raymond,
> > So did you look at config.log to find out why cpp fails??
> Well, my c++ knowledge is nearly unusuable as for the c++ toolchain I
> saw different calls in the config.log. If I run the Makefile from pkgsrc
> I got the following check:
> configure:5427: checking how to run the C++ preprocessor
> configure:5541: result: cpp
> configure:5565: cpp -I/usr/pkg/include
> ./configure[5566]: cpp:  not found
> configure:5571: $? = 127
> which fails. When setting USE_LANGUAGES=c++ the way is different:
> configure:5427: checking how to run the C++ preprocessor
> configure:5458: g++ -E -I/usr/pkg/include
> configure:5464: $? = 0
> Regards
> Uli

Well if you're building with Sun Studio compilers, GCC compilers should be out
of the equation. The problem is Sun cpp is not in your path, e.g.

[raymond@ultra10] which cpp

Why configure script thinks that using 'cpp' over 'cc -E' is preferable, is
another question. I think most configure scripts would test if 'cc -E' works
and then use that instead of invoking 'cpp'.