Subject: Subversion (was: Re: package categories)
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Raphael Langerhorst <raphael@raphael.g-system.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/02/2006 15:47:08
--nextPart2822580.YpIDDNPPW3

Am Donnerstag, 2. November 2006 14:58 schrieb Geert Hendrickx:
> On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 05:27:40PM -0600, Hugo Rivera wrote:
> > I think it would be a nice idea to add the "science" category in pkgsrc,
> > since there are some packages in the "math" category that really are
> > scientific packages, plus all the packages in "biology" should be moved
> > to this new "science" category.
>
> Don't take the pkgsrc category structure to serious; it's mostly a way to
> keep the number of entries in one directory somewhat limited.  Moving a
> package between categories makes its history much harder to track, which =
is
> a good reason not to do that.  Granted, that's purely a shortcoming of CV=
S,
> but we have to live with it.  That's why we have the pkgtools/pkgfind
> package. ;-)

since CVS is mentioned I would like to ask a question that might upset you =
(I=20
would be surprised if it has not been already considered):

moving to svn.

Netbsd and pkgsrc are the only projects I work with that are (still) using =
CVS=20
and I consider it a considerable drawback (see example above, among others).

Also, when I do a cvs co for the first time (either src or pkgsrc) I get=20
interrupted around 3 to 10 times before I get a full checkout. It's not fun=
=20
to work with this in the long-run although there might be reasons (existing=
=20
infrastructure) that simply make it (almost) impossible to move somewhere=20
else.

Now... are there plans to move pkgsrc from CVS to SVN?

Regards,
Raphael