Subject: Re: package categories
To: Hugo Rivera <uair9@yahoo.com>
From: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/02/2006 14:58:26
On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 05:27:40PM -0600, Hugo Rivera wrote:
> I think it would be a nice idea to add the "science" category in pkgsrc,
> since there are some packages in the "math" category that really are
> scientific packages, plus all the packages in "biology" should be moved
> to this new "science" category.

Don't take the pkgsrc category structure to serious; it's mostly a way to
keep the number of entries in one directory somewhat limited.  Moving a
package between categories makes its history much harder to track, which is
a good reason not to do that.  Granted, that's purely a shortcoming of CVS,
but we have to live with it.  That's why we have the pkgtools/pkgfind
package. ;-)

Btw, binary packages are structured according to a different scheme:
CATEGORIES, which is much more easily changed.

	Geert