Subject: Re: packages categories feedback
To: Hugo Rivera <uair9@yahoo.com>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/02/2006 14:26:56
On 11/2/06, Hugo Rivera <uair9@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi:
> A few days ago I wrote a mail suggesting the creation
> of a new "science" category in pkgsrc and I haven't
> got a feedback of any kind (besides one from Raphael
> Langerhorst who feels the same about adding this new
> category) neither rejecting the idea nor accepting it.
> Maybe it's too early to expect a response or I'm just
> been ignored (I hope it isn't the later) but I would
> like to hear some feedback from a pkgsrc developer
> (negative or positive).

This does not go to specifically you, but as I've already seen it
several times, I'd like to state the following.  If you do not receive
any response to a mail (specially just after few days), it does not
mean you are being ignored.  Many of us read all the mails, but there
is no-one who _must_ reply to them (it's different on other more
organized lists such as, e.g. www@, where there is a person
responsible for responding to mails).  I'm not saying that this is a
good thing or not, just how things are :-/

If nobody objects to a proposal, your best bet is to send a PR with a
detailed description of it to ensure it's not forgotten.  Then, even
if it is not dealt with immediately, it'll eventually require some
attention.

Anyway, to answer your question.  There was recently a proposal to
create a 'scm' category and several people objected to it because of
how painful is to deal with package moves.  Search the archives for
the discussion.  (Personally I believe that the categories in pkgsrc
are simply flawed and must go away... but possibly that is just me.)

Cheers,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
The Julipedia - http://julipedia.blogspot.com/