Subject: Re: the netbsd way
To: Marc Espie <espie@nerim.net>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/31/2006 12:39:07
--1RftZa7o64Huaoir

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 12:28:02PM +0100, Marc Espie wrote:
>=20
> > > We rewrote our pkgtools infrastructure.
>=20
> > Unfortunately, they are written in perl.
> > Since NetBSD will never import perl into the base system, OpenBSD
> > pkgtools cannot be used on NetBSD (as a tool in the base system,
> > I mean).
>=20
> I would probably not use as strong language as `never'... things change,
> you know.
[...]
> Perl was chosen for our pkgtools rewrite because of its RAD value.  This
> does not mean you have to start from scratch, you can definitely use a
> lot of the lessons we learned there while writing traditional C code.

You complain about pkgsrc people not knowing OpenBSD enough;  may I
remind you that pkgsrc is not dedicated to NetBSD?  perl is not suitable
for NetBSD because it's been long said that perl is persona non grata in
NetBSD base system, but that's only for NetBSD.

For other systems, it's more complicated;  bootstrapping perl just to
get the pkgtools running has a very high cost.  The only thing we can
reasonably rely on is a C compiler.

--=20
"You could have made it, spitting out benchmarks
Owe it to yourself not to fail"
Amplifico, Spitting Out Benchmarks, Hometakes Vol. 2, 2005.

--1RftZa7o64Huaoir

--1RftZa7o64Huaoir--