Subject: packages installing shared libraries for loading with dlopen
To: None <>
From: Brook Milligan <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/27/2006 11:48:53
I am having trouble with resolving symbols in a shared library created
by a package I am working on.  The situation is this:

- package 1:  creates a shared library
- package 2:  creates a shared library, which is linked
- package 3:  tries to load via dlopen(3) and complains
  about not finding

All the symbols in are resolved fine as determined by 'ldd'.  This is not true for, as ldd complains about
not finding

I have tried building with '-Wl,-rpath,<path to>' (and with -rpath-link), but that seems to make no
difference.  Indeed, there seems to be no reference to any search
paths in as determined by 'objdump -x'.  Furthermore, if
the link is done with 'c++ --verbose -t' there is no evidence of the
-rpath option being passed on to ld.  ld is, however, finding all the
appropriate libraries within the buildlink directory.

I thought I understood the use of -Wl,-rpath, but apparently not.

What am I missing?  How can I get the appropriate search path embedded
into so that this all works?

Thanks for your help.