Subject: Re: Binary packages and optional dependencies
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/21/2006 22:03:39
On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 08:01:08PM +0200, Havard Eidnes wrote:
> 1) Do we aim at solving this problem, or is "build that package
>    from source, then" an acceptable answer?  (It would be nice if
>    we supported use of binary packages...)

I have at least for many packages an answer already. E.g. many PHP
packages can be built for either PHP 4 and PHP 5. In my bulk build code,
the system will build both versions as long as they create different
package names.

This doesn't work in all cases, e.g. mod_php/mod_perl is critical, but
covers many issues.

The sharp dependencies exist for a reason since it can make a reason
that Apache 1.3 vs. Apache 2 makes a difference for a package.

Joerg