Subject: Re: fontconfig and fc-cache
To: Dan McMahill <dmcmahill@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/13/2006 07:48:36
> The fontconfig INSTALL was recently modified to automatically run 'fc-cache'
> instead of just spitting out a warning telling to user to do so.
>
> Could this be somehow turned off or could there be a hook to disable
> this during bulk builds?  fc-cache ends up wanting nearly 2Gb of VM
> which causes my buld machine that has 512Mb of real memory to nearly
> grind to a halt for hours everytime something has to pkg_add fontconfig.

I wonder if something more generic can be enabled to stop other packages
from doing un-needed install steps during bulk builds, such as rebuilding
scrollkeeper databases. (Maybe that is a bad example though because maybe
another package during bulk build requires that.)

If I recall, we used to not generate the font cache automatically because
it was so slow.