Subject: Re: 'base homedir' for pkgsrc created users
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
From: David Brownlee <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/29/2006 20:57:44
On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:

> On 9/29/06, David Brownlee <> wrote:
>>         When pkgsrc needs to create a homedir for a pkgsrc user in which
>>         to store data (eg: pgsql, and a teamspeak-server package I'm
>>         planning on committing after the freeze), some packages
>>         default the homedir to ${PREFIX}/${USER}. I'd like to suggest they
>>         instead uses ${VARBASE}/${USER}, or possibly a (someone _please_
>>         give a better name that doesn't involve DIY) ${HOMEBASE}/${USER}.
>>         What do people think?
> I agree with this idea.  Files in ${PREFIX} should not change at all
> except when installing or deinstalling packages, and home directories
> will generally break the rule.

 	OK, so packages should generally set PKG_HOME to ${HOMEBASE}/...
 	Exceptions would be:
 	    - ${VARBASE}/chroot/...
 	    - ${VARBASE}/run/...
 	    - Well known dirs, such as ${VARBASE}/{mail,news}.

 	The next question is what should be the right default for ${HOMEBASE}.
 	At this point I would say ${VARBASE}/db

 	    David/absolute       -- No hype required --