Subject: Re: man.conf entry for xorg package
To: Blair Sadewitz <blair.sadewitz@gmail.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/15/2006 11:58:53
> Might it be a good idea to have the Xorg package add a man.conf entry
> upon installation?

That could be useful. (Although in my case, I have all my X apps direct in
/usr/pkg/ not under /usr/pkg/Xorg because I am using modular Xorg
pkgsrc and pkgsrc-wip.)

I think there was some discussion about this man configuration previously.

Normally, pkgsrc should not touch out side of LOCALBASE (/usr/pkg/) but it
does create users, groups and adjusts /etc/shells.

On a Red Hat type system, this is done in /etc/man.config (or
/etc/man.conf) by adding the MANPATH setting, such as:

MANPATH /usr/pkg/Xorg/man

On my NetBSD system I adjusted my /etc/man.conf so pkg/share/man would
work for me -- note the "share/mn" is my PKGMANDIR.

Maybe for now, a note could be added to documentation on Xorg-libs
MESSAGE about the man path setup.