Subject: Re: pkgsrc on case-insensitive filesystem
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/12/2006 19:41:47
On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 18:20:39 +0200
> Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com> wrote:
> > I don't believe that the "CVS" versus "cvs" case is really a problem.
>
> CVS treats CVS different than cvs.  How do you propose that it treat it
> in a CIFS?  Should it ignore all the source files from cvs or should it
> try to commit Root, Repository and such?

If you do "cvs add Root; cvs commit" then it should commit it, but why
would anybody do that?

In the usual case, when the cvs application thinks it's looking
at the "pkgsrc/devel/CVS" directory, and it sees unexpected files
there (Makefile, distinfo, etc.),  I'd expect it to ignore them (as
long as none of the names clash with files that it knows to treat
specially); and when the cvs application thinks it's looking at the
"pkgsrc/devel/cvs" directory, and it sees unexpected files there
(Repository, Entries, etc.), I'd again expect it to ignore them, or to
report that it saw unexpected files.

As I said, I haven't tested this on a case insensitive file system.  I
forgot to mention that I have tested it on a case-sensitive file system
where "CVS" was a symlink to "cvs", and it worked just fine, exactly as
I expected.

--apb (Alan Barrett)