Subject: Multiple patches in one file
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/26/2006 20:37:47
Hi,

I'm currently working on a fix for D-Bus that involves touching
multiple files in the source tree.  All the changes are related in
that they are all required to implement some extra functionality to
get D-Bus working properly under NetBSD.  You can see the patch here
(despite the .bin extension, put there by the mail archive system):

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/attachments/20060826/dc5cb206/dbus-keyring-0001.bin

I'm wondering if it'd be OK to commit this specific patch to pkgsrc as
is, without splitting it into multiple patch-a* files.  That could
keep things all together, making them clearer e.g. during an update
or, specially, when the mainstream authors integrate it into the tree.
 It'd be also useful to keep the changes in sync with the CVS
repository (as I'm doing now) because one can easily take the single
patch file, apply it to the CVS tree and see if anything fails.  If
they are all commited separately, it is very difficult later on to
determine what is going on with a bunch of patch-* files.

I know this is not the general rule, so this is why I'm asking for an
exception.  Hopefully the patch will go away from pkgsrc soon (if the
mainstream authors accept it, of course).

Thanks.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
The Julipedia - http://julipedia.blogspot.com/