Subject: Re: rc.d: client-server dependencies
To: Martin Husemann <>
From: Greg Troxel <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/14/2006 08:07:23

Martin Husemann <> writes:

> On Sun, Aug 13, 2006 at 08:55:19PM +0200, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
>> As a consequence, when running "/etc/rc.d/upsmon start" on a client-only
>> machine (where upsd runs on a different machine), it says:=20
>> WARNING: $upsmon is not set properly - see rc.conf(5).
> What is wrong with having
> upsdriver=3DNO
> upsd=3DNO
> upsmon=3DYES
> upslog=3DNO
> in /etc/rc.conf on the client-only machine? I have that since ~forever
> and never got complaints at boot time (but I haven't updated a client
> only machine to the very latest pkgsrc)

That's ok, but I think the point was to be able to have behavior like
the base system, where there are defaults and if you omit foo=3DYES you
don't get flamed.  Perhaps a scheme were manually running an rc.d
script issues the warning, and automatically doesn't.

    Greg Troxel <>

Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (NetBSD)