Subject: mtree on FreeBSD
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/13/2006 10:46:27
On FreeBSD, the bootstrap chooses to use the pkgsrc mtree explicitly:

FreeBSD)
        root_group=wheel
        need_pax=yes
        need_mtree=yes
        need_bsd_install=no
        need_awk=no
        need_sed=no
        set_opsys=no
        machine_arch=`uname -p`
        ;;

It was also installed flagged as 'not for deletion'. When running a bulk
build, I saw the pre-build phase try to delete it but get the warning about
not for deletion.

Some time into the bulk build, mtree is gone. Whether it was because it was
removed during pre-build or something else I have not yet found out.

Someone told me it was a bug that the pkgsrc mtree was being used on FreeBSD
to begin with, yet from the looks of the bootstrap it's hardly an accident.

So before I start figuring this out; is it a bug that mtree is being used to
begin with, or is it a bug that it is getting removed during the build? If it
really should use pkgsrc - is it because the native FreeBSD version is
incompatible in some way?

Are you supposed to add mtree and other such tools to the PREREQ:s? (pax and
tar seem to survive eithout it)

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller@infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org