Subject: Re: Adding perl as a runtime dependency to packages (was: CVS commit:
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/07/2006 14:52:34
On Sun, Aug 06, 2006 at 03:33:51PM -0700, Min Sik Kim wrote:
> On Aug 5, 2006, at 11:43 PM, Bernd Ernesti wrote:
> >emacs:
> >Why is bin/emacs-grep-changelog installed at all? We don't install
> >the emacs changelog file(s) so there is no reason to install this file
> >too.
> >If we want to install it then it should be an independent package
> >which
> >should also work with all other ChangeLog files, but my take is
> >that this
> >adds too much work for us to do that.
> >=> remove that file and kill the perl dependency.
> >
> >fvwm:
> >The commit didn't say why perl was really added, so I can only guess
> >that it maybe because of FvwmConsoleC.pl.
> >If that is the case then we should add a package option to enable
> >perl,
> >defaulting to off. This is an enhancement for a window manager
> >which is
> >not really needed by default. fvwm is a small wm and it should be
> >keept
> >that way.
>
> You may want to contact the MAINTAINERs and pkgsrc-users@ for these
> suggestions.  As long as those perl scripts are not installed into
> $PREFIX/bin, there is no need to add the dependency on perl.

$PREFIX/bin is one directory, where we *require* that, but most others
fall into that category as well. E.g. mailman wouldn't install into
$PREFIX/bin at al, but must have valid Python script entries.

The rules are not set in stone yet, but every maintainer should check
the build results with CHECK_INTERPRETER carefully.

Joerg