Subject: Re: default values for log and PID file path names?
To: Georg Schwarz <>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/01/2006 23:57:52
On 8/1/06, Georg Schwarz <> wrote:
> Am 01.08.2006 um 23:19 schrieb Julio M. Merino Vidal:
> > If your package places any file outside PREFIX, it shall use OWN_DIRS
> > or MAKE_DIRS to register the directory in which it will be placed.
> > This way you ensure that the directory exists.  You'll probably want
> > something like OWN_DIRS=${VARBASE}/run.
> doesn't OWN_DIRS imply that the package is exclusively using that
> directory?

No.  Those directories are reference-counted by the installation
scripts and can be shared among multiple packages.  (E.g.

BTW, the difference between MAKE_DIRS and OWN_DIRS is that the latter
tells the user about the directory if it is not empty during
deinstallation while the former does not.  (Or was it the other way
around?  I never remember without looking...)

Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
The Julipedia -