Subject: Re: Errors with pkgsrc locking mechanism
To: Raymond Meyer <raymond.meyer@rambler.ru>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/30/2006 13:36:41
--yEPQxsgoJgBvi8ip

On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 12:15:10PM +0100, Raymond Meyer wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 12:34:44 +0200
> Lars Nordlund <lars.nordlund@hem.utfors.se> wrote:
>=20
> > I do not know what other people think about the pkgsrc locking
> > mechanism, but IMHO it should be removed. Not only does it simply not
> > work throughout pkgsrc because of the reasons stated above, I have also
> > seen locks being grabbed when they should not. For example when the
> > other make process has finished building and starts to install. Then the
> > first make is released from the lock and starts to build.. With
> > unspecified result of course... (from 2+ year old memory. Have not used
> > it since then. Problem could have been corrected of course).
> >=20
> >=20
> > Best regards,
> > 	Lars Nordlund
>=20
> I didn't know that pkgsrc locking was unsafe. What's the point of having
> something if it only works properly 80% of the time, or so.

I'm a PKGSRC_LOCKTYPE=3Dsleep user here, and it works fine for me -
I've not seen any lock-related problems so far.

Jaromir
--=20
-=3D- We can walk our road together if our goals are all the same;     -=3D-
-=3D- We can run alone and free if we pursue a different aim.          -=3D-

--yEPQxsgoJgBvi8ip

--yEPQxsgoJgBvi8ip--