Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/net/tnftp
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/26/2006 10:38:33
--pgp-sign-Multipart_Wed_Jul_26_10:37:45_2006-1

At Wed, 26 Jul 2006 09:28:47 -0400,
Johnny Lam wrote:
>=20
> I've been fairly consistent in trying to provide ways for pkgsrc to
> provide tools that are missing on some platforms.  Thomas Klausner has
> recently added a package option to the groff package to build with few
> or no dependencies so that it may be used as a low-level tool
> dependency.  You should expect that the tools for formatting man pages
> will be installed, either in the present or eventually, on platforms
> for which those tools are missing.

Note that installing pre-formatted manual pages isn't typically
something that has ever been expected to happen on systems that don't
have the tools for pre-formatting documents.

In fact typically the installation of documentation of any kind has
traditionally been considered an option.  Many systems just are not ever
used by interactive users -- and even the people who maintain them don't
expect to have access to the online documentation on the target system.

If I were building packages from source on such a system I'd sure as
heck never ever want to have to build groff as a bootstrap tool just to
get something I don't want in the first place!

(I don't necessarily always agree with making such things as online
documentation an option -- I've had to maintain bare-bones systems that
were long forgotten by their original builders -- but it does seem to be
an option people want, even in these days of plenty-o-disk-space.)

--=20
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098 W:+1 416 489-5852 x122 VE3TCP RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>       Secrets of the Weird <woods@weird.com>