Subject: Re: making 'make replace' safer
To: NetBSD pkgsrc Discussion <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/18/2006 13:43:52
--pgp-sign-Multipart_Tue_Jul_18_13:43:50_2006-1

At Mon, 17 Jul 2006 19:53:05 +0200,
Peter Schuller wrote:
>=20
> > Indeed and that's what binary packages allow.
>=20
> But not easily. There is no "apt-get dist-upgrade".

Well, perhaps not exactly, but "pkg_chk -bu" seems to do farily well
with upgrading binary packages too, though I don't have a huge amount of
experience using it this way yet.  Also, to use it I haven't actually
set up a distribution server for FTP or similar -- I just rsync the
packages directory to each target machine, but that works well enough in
my relatively small environment.

> Point taking about building binary packages on test machines and all that=
; I=20
> am not arguing against it. But I would like to see pkgsrc being friendlie=
r to=20
> the average joe who just wants to use it on some personal machine, not sp=
end=20
> time sysadminning compile farms and binary package upgrades.

The argument has been made before that such personal machines for more
or less pure "user" purposes should probably just be upgraded from a
published set of binaries, be they online or on some fixed media.

--=20
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098 W:+1 416 489-5852 x122 VE3TCP RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>       Secrets of the Weird <woods@weird.com>