Subject: Re: making 'make replace' safer
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/17/2006 00:09:23
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006, Greg Troxel wrote:
> I'd like to commit step 1 - is this ok?

Right now, 'make replace' is fairly simple & straight forward. Replacing
it with something that's obviously not simple (as far as I understand your
mail), I'd rather not see that happen for that target. How about naming
this different, maybe "abi-safe-replace" or something, so the old & simple
method keeps available to us old farts who pretend to know what they want?

Replacing known behaviour for something unknown seems the wrong way to
me, and you can always rename the target later when it's stable.

  - Hubert