Subject: Re: making 'make replace' safer
To: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
From: Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/16/2006 22:15:48
> >   tsort the set of installed packages by dependencies
> >   find the set of packages that are out of date
> >   find the set of packages that have unsafe_depends set
> >   choose the first package from the union of those sets
> >   do make replace on the chosen package
> >   repeat
>
> How does that differ from what wip/pkgmanager already does?

One difference would be the checking of the unsafe_depends flag. I am not sure
how to interpret the original description, but if the intent it to only set
unsafe_depends when needed (as opposed to for all packages with
dependencies), that would be a significant difference in that it would lessen
the amount of rebuilding necessary to perform the upgrade.

Of course if that flag is adopted pkgmanager could have a look at it too, if
needed.

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller@infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org