Subject: Re: New category for revision control tools and programs
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/15/2006 00:44:29
Greg Troxel wrote:
> One of the problems of pkgsrc is updating.  (One of the people on my
> project is doing some work to help with this, so that a series of
> 'make replace' operations can become safe, but that's mostly
> orthogonal to this.)   Besides all the problems of updating, almost
> all the mechanisms are confused by category changes, since we have no
> way to convey such changes (devel/subversion ==> vc/subversion) to
> tools like pkg_chk (and the tools don't have the code to deal).

Regardless of whether this category is created, we should grow a way to
express such changes. Packages do get renamed (counting moving to
another category as the same operation as renaming), and sometimes
packages supersede others.

I'm not fussed whether this is by means of a separate metadata file, or
by replacing old packages with dummy Makefiles which refer to the new
package (for 6 months and then get deleted), but I think we do need
*something*.

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget