Subject: Re: debugging pkgsrc on Solaris
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Raymond Meyer <raymond.meyer@rambler.ru>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/05/2006 23:05:07
On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 22:14:07 +0100
David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 11:36:55AM +0100, Raymond Meyer wrote:
> > I'm trying to build lang/gcc34-ada on Sparc Solaris, I posted about this
> > problem some time ago, but nobody replied to me
> >
> > # bmake extract
> > /bin/sh: syntax error at line 1: `;' unexpected
> > *** Error code 2
>
> Put /usr/xpg4/bin into $PATH before /usr/bin and/or set SHELL=/usr/xpg4/bin/sh
> (or something else that is ksh-like).
> I suspect you are falling foul of solaris's proper bourne shell!
>
> 	David
>
> --
> David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk

I suspect there is a bug in pkgsrc Makefiles or scripts

# /bin is a symlink to /usr/bin
cd /usr/bin
mv sh sh.orig

ln -s /usr/bin/ksh sh
or
ln -s /usr/xpg4/bin/sh sh

both /usr/bin/ksh and /usr/xpg4/bin/sh result in the same error described above

only when

ln -s /usr/bin/bash sh

the error goes away

I know Solaris Bourne shell is crap, but when pkgsrc fails with ksh and
xpg4/sh, it makes me think there is something not right with pkgsrc.

So, how could I debug this problem and see which Makefile or script is
generating the error?