Subject: mk/plist/shlib-type
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/04/2006 11:57:38
Hi,

do we still have any operating system that is supposed to support the
a.out shared library format together with pkgsrc? Currently
_OPSYS_SHLIB_TYPE is defined to ELF/a.out on the *BSD platforms, but do
we really have some support for a.out left?

The reason I'm asking is that on these platforms, the
mk/plist/shlib-type program gets called, which invokes the C compiler.
That means that even packages that say USE_LANGUAGES=#none need a
working C compiler. I'd like to get rid of that dependency.

By the way, could anyone who is familiar with the history of the a.out
format please add some information about it to Wikipedia? ;) I'm
especially interested in some information about _when_ it has been
deprecated and replaced mostly by ELF.

Roland