Subject: Re: PLIST content
To: None <joerg@britannica.bec.de, tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/02/2006 22:46:24
In article <20060702153806.GA4648@britannica.bec.de> joerg@britannica.bec.de wrote:
: (4) template-based directories
: - path names can be either relative to PREFIX or absolute (e.g. VARBASE)
: - meta data consists of:
:   * owner, group and permissions
:   * owner, group and permissions for files under this directory
:   * owner, group and permissions for subdirectories
:   * template name (empty directory assumed if missing)
:   * optionally triggers
: - similiar to (3), but considers the entire subtree as configuration
: item. useful e.g. for Apache which uses multiple subfiles by default.

  What exactly are you trying to solve with this?

  If it is installing multiple config files from share/examples, I
don't think it's a good idea: config files are important enough so we
should take the trouble to spell out what gets installed.  It's too
easy that an update adds an example script in that directory that
should not be installed.

: (5) Unmanaged files
: - like (3), but will always get removed with the package

  We will also need to handle the case of files that are normally
installed but can change.  Maybe a flag (nocheck?) that can be added
to (1) and (3)?

  Also, you put most of the information used by the INSTALL/DEINSTALL
framework into the PLIST.  The only thing left that I can think of are
users and groups.  While not files, what about putting them here, too?
As triggers without pathname.

  Otherwise, this looks fine.

					yours,
					dillo