Subject: Re: ghostscript goes GPL
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/17/2006 15:29:05
On Sat, Jun 17, 2006 at 11:32:32AM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> It was recently announced that ghostscript (the leading edge
> version) is available as GPL. Perhaps we can get rid of some of
> our many ghostscript packages now?
>
> http://advogato.org/person/raph/diary.html?start=411

We can definitely merge the ghostcript-gnu and ghostscript-afpl packages
to the latest 8.54 release.  The print/ghostscript package was originally
kept around primarily for some users in Japan IIRC, but I don't know
if it has yet been completely superseded by any of the newer ghostscript
releases.  Perhaps someone on the tech-pkg-ja@jp.NetBSD.org mailing
list can let us know if it can be removed (I've cc:ed the list on this
reply)?  In that case, we can drop print/ghostscript altogether.

I would prefer not to merge ghostcript-gnu and ghostscript-esp until
it's clear that the all of the ESP features have been merged back into
the GNU ghostscript sources.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>