Subject: Re: ghostscript goes GPL
To: None <>
From: Johnny C. Lam <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/17/2006 15:29:05
On Sat, Jun 17, 2006 at 11:32:32AM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> It was recently announced that ghostscript (the leading edge
> version) is available as GPL. Perhaps we can get rid of some of
> our many ghostscript packages now?

We can definitely merge the ghostcript-gnu and ghostscript-afpl packages
to the latest 8.54 release.  The print/ghostscript package was originally
kept around primarily for some users in Japan IIRC, but I don't know
if it has yet been completely superseded by any of the newer ghostscript
releases.  Perhaps someone on the mailing
list can let us know if it can be removed (I've cc:ed the list on this
reply)?  In that case, we can drop print/ghostscript altogether.

I would prefer not to merge ghostcript-gnu and ghostscript-esp until
it's clear that the all of the ESP features have been merged back into
the GNU ghostscript sources.

	-- Johnny Lam <>