Subject: ghostscript goes GPL
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/17/2006 11:32:32
It was recently announced that ghostscript (the leading edge
version) is available as GPL. Perhaps we can get rid of some of
our many ghostscript packages now?

http://advogato.org/person/raph/diary.html?start=411

7 Jun 2006  »

  Ghostscript leading edge is now GPL!

  I have some great news to report. The leading edge of Ghostscript
  development is now under GPL license, as is the latest release,
  Ghostscript 8.54.

  By switching to the GPL, we're reaffirming our commitment to the
  free software world. One big reason for this decision was to
  reduce the lead time between bugs being fixed in the development
  tree and users seeing the fixes, especially those users dependent
  on Linux distributions.

  Moving forward, we'd also like to resolve the effective fork with
  "ESP Ghostscript," so that our development tree is suitable
  directly for use in Linux distributions without a lot of extra
  patches. It would be very nice if all the GPL patches could be
  incorporated into the main tree without any license restrictions
  (which means that we need copyright assignment), but realistically,
  we'll still have to implement an apartheid system of some kind,
  so that a GPL-only subdirectory exists that gets deleted out of
  our commercial releases.

  As Raph Giles has posted recently, we're looking for a person to
  oversee this integration work, and to work more closely with the
  distributions and others in the free software community. Please
  let either of us know if you're interested. This might also be
  a good time to remind people of our "bug bounty" program, which
  pays a nice little bonus for fixing bugs in our tracker marked
  with the "bountiable" keyword.

  We haven't been getting a lot of development work from the free
  community recently, but we continue to get extremely valuable
  testing, patching, and other quality assurance. Thanks again to
  everybody in the community for this - it's much appreciated, and
  putting our leading edge development branch into GPL is one way
  of saying "thank you." I'm excited about the potential for working
  more closely with people in the free software world.

 Thomas