Subject: Re: pkg_chk changes to show pkgsrc directory
To: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/14/2006 20:26:48
--=-=-=

I think the most important thing is to have it machine parseable.
Because we're talking pkg maintenance, that means by tools in the base
system, so we're talking sh and awk.  Humans using pkg_chk will either
be geeks or doing things like -u and not reading the details - the end
goal should be full auto maintenance that just works.

So I'd go for

# directory installed status current
devel/readline readline-5.0 < readline-5.1pl1nb1
devel/readline readline-5.0 < readline-5.1pl1nb1 binary-package-available
devel/readline MISSING - readline-5.1pl1nb1
devel/readline readline-5.1pl1nb1 <build_version readline-5.1pl1nb1 binary-=
package-available

and also prefix anything that doesn't fit this format with a # so it can
be egrep -v'd out.

I'm guessing that build_version mismatch is only when there is a
binary package, since it's only from a binary that there's a notion of
correct build_version.

=2D-=20
        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>

--=-=-=