Subject: Re: interix bootstrap problems with workarounds
To: Amitai Schlair <schmonz@schmonz.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/07/2006 16:11:40
On 6/7/06, Amitai Schlair <schmonz@schmonz.com> wrote:
> > (1) cc did not work, resolved with brute admin force:

> I left this as is.

Which should be fine.  You don't need cc.

> > (2) On Interix, bmake does not set MAKEFILE, which tickles the bmake regression tests.
> > Resolved this with more brute force:

> I needed to do this.

Hm.  I can't find where the regression tests are being called --
there's a target in devel/bmake/Makefile.in, but what actually invokes
that target, I'm not sure...!

> > (3) Pax build broken when tape support is disabled.

I'll look into this if it's still broken.  I made quite a few
modifications to make it possible to build pax entirely without tape
support.

> On Windows XP with Service Pack 2, I also had to provide the argument
> "/noexecute=AlwaysOff" in boot.ini and reboot, which disables Data
> Execution Prevention. Before I did this, gcc would always segv.

This won't work for everything, because the gcc signal trampolines
will still bomb.  You need Hotfix 899522 or a successor (the most
recent with those files is 904358).  I have made the SFU hotfixes
available for public download, if you don't feel like going through
MS's convoluted service request process:

    http://www.duh.org/interix/

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>