Subject: GCC 4 and multimedia packages (preliminary)
To: NBSD Current <>
From: Vincent <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/03/2006 14:35:20
Hi there,

the expected shift from GCC 3 to 4 breaks a lot of things in the
multimedia packages.

- mplayer will not compile: GCC 4.1.1 is considered  wrong  or

- ffmpeg does not compile either. There are at least three problems:
	* forward references to struct AVOptions that are not accepted by GCC 4
	* Non-static extern declarations followed by static declarations;
	(These two above are quite easy to fix)
	* Some assembly error in the postprocess library, that I cannot fix
because I know close to nothing to MMX ASM.

- xine-lib, including a private copy from ffmpeg does not compile for
the same problems as above, plus another problem related to MMX
assembler somewhere (in dsputils_mmx.c)

As a rule, it seems that every code that relies heavily on asm or deep C
optimization breaks.