Subject: Re: Review for commit: refactoring + package system flavors
To: Hubert Feyrer <>
From: Roland Illig <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/29/2006 08:44:29
Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>>     http;//
> I know it's 1st grade bikeshed material, but: can you please name it
> something else than 'flavors'? OpenBSD already uses that term in the
> same context for something different, and reusing the term here is
> confusing.
> At the very least to me.

And to me. In fact, this was the first thought that came to my mind: Oh,
we get PKG_VARIANTS (how I had called it last year).

I'm not against naming things different than other projects (as long as
our names are better), but reusing a word just because it is already
used by someone else is not good. To me, the word flavors has nothing to
do with the type of package management tools involved.