Subject: Re: Inconsistent dependency handling
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/24/2006 15:37:30
On Wed, 24 May 2006, Chapman Flack wrote:

> joerg@britannica.bec.de wrote:
> > The major difference in that case is that bin-install does exact
> > matching and pkg_add looks for the latest version of a package.
>
> I think this picture is oversimplified. True, 'cd foo ; make bin-install'
> will install an exact match of foo itself (which can only be out of date
> if the pkgsrc tree is), but for prerequisites of foo, install-depends
> preserves their specified Dewey wildcards and the sub-invocations of
> bin-install pass these on to pkg_add.

I disliked how bin-install would only check (and install) a package with
exact version when I often have prebuild packages that are good enough.

So I hacked my bsd.pkg.mk to add my own bin-install functionality. (I
posted diff for it to tech-pkg months ago.)

But then I had a new problem: my good enough packages brought in
dependencies that were good enough for it but not good enough for the
package to be built.

I suggested that maybe we could pass this extra dependency requirements
along as pkg_add options to add to the dependency requirements already
found in the binary package to be installed. But I am not sure about
sub-dependencies too.

 Jeremy C. Reed

echo '9,J8HD,fDGG8B@?:536FC5=8@I;C5?@H5B0D@5GBIELD54DL>@8L?:5GDEJ8LDG1' |\
sed ss,s50EBsg | tr 0-M 'p.wBt SgiIlxmLhan:o,erDsduv/cyP'