Subject: Recent make update problems
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/09/2006 16:20:47
Hi,

On two machines (one NetBSD 2 and one NetBSD 3), with latest pkgsrc, when
I tried to do a "make update" in lang/perl5, it built stuff like p5-DBI,
MySQL server, and p5-DBD, then started reporting:

Manifying blib/man3/DBI::ProfileData.3
=> Unwrapping files-to-be-installed.
===> do-su-install [p5-DBI-1.50] ===> Installing for p5-DBI-1.50
===> real-su-install [p5-DBI-1.50] ===> p5-DBI-1.50 is already installed -
perhaps an older version?
*** If so, you may use either of:
***  - "pkg_delete p5-DBI-1.50" and "/usr/bin/make reinstall" to upgrade
properly
***  - "/usr/bin/make update" to rebuild the package and all of its
dependencies
***  - "/usr/bin/make replace" to replace only the package without
re-linking
***    dependencies, risking various problems.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/databases/p5-DBI
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/databases/p5-DBI
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/databases/p5-DBI
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/lang/perl5

Of course, I still think that a "make update" should do things in the
build, delete old, install order instead of the current delete old, build
(and possibly fail leaving you with no working package), install order,
but I'm sure that's just me.

Anyone have an idea of what changed that is causing this breakage? I do
not enjoy the idea of manually updating tons of packages on 20 different
machines.

Interestingly, the problem did not happen on an OS X machine...

Thanks,
John Klos
--
Today is the day that my destiny calls me!
   Meowth