Subject: Re: packages shouldn't use install during build
To: Perry E. Metzger <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/29/2006 21:19:13
On Sat, 29 Apr 2006, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> I was just building the clisp pkg, as an unprivileged user, and this
> happened, breaking the build....
> /usr/bin/install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444 .libs/ /usr/pkgsrc/lang/clisp/work.hackworth/clisp-2.38/src/
> install: /usr/pkgsrc/lang/clisp/work.hackworth/clisp-2.38/src/ chown/chgrp: Operation not permitted
> Someone should fix it, but also, it is in general a bad idea not to
> test building packages without privs, and it is also bad for packages
> builds to contain instances of "install" that require privs...

I saw similar thing with libXt (pkgsrc-wip)

Can you please contact the developers to ask them
to fix this?

(Without looking at code, it probably uses INSTALL which the configure
script allowed to be defined.)

It is not a pkgsrc problem. I do agree that building packages without
privileges is a good idea. (In my case, I often am doing unprivileged
installs also, so I would never notice this problem because it would be
like: /usr/bin/install -c -o me -g me -m 444 ....)

 Jeremy C. Reed

echo ':6DB6=88>?;@69876tA=AC8BB5tA6487><' | tr '4-F' 'wu rofIn.lkigemca'