Subject: Re: SoC 2006: pkg_install rewrite?
To: Dieter Baron <>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/22/2006 21:56:04
On 4/22/06, Dieter Baron <> wrote:
> In article <> wrote:
> : Exactly. But calling an external program is good and necessary since it
> : is a prequirement for proper priviledge separation. E.g. if we have a
> : tool like dselect or aptitude or whatever, I definitely want to run it
> : as non-root, but the actual installation has to be done as root of
> : course.
>   I see.  I never considered being able to run the GUI as non-root
> when installing/deleting packages, but I see why one would want to.
> : Don't get me wrong, a wrapper library to ease the use is perfectly fine
> : and valid, but as primary interface, the command line is better IMO.
>   You mean a library function interface that does the program
> invocation, possibly with just-in-time-su?  Sounds reasonable.

There seem to be quite a bunch of programs that go this route.  One
example that comes to my mind is Monotone, which refused to create a
shared library and instead made a command line interface that is easy
to automate.

One advantage of this approach is that, with a correct and consistent
CLI, one can develop a nice automated testing suite that tests both
program internals and the external interface.  (And it also allows for
the privilege separation Joerg mentioned, something that I did not

Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
The Julipedia -