Subject: Re: png ABI bump - why?
To: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/22/2006 09:34:34
On 4/22/06, Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org> wrote:
> > Because of this part, which you conveniently quoted:
> > > . link against libpng12 (instead of libpng) in all cases.
> > >

> How does this affect me when I'm compiling packages
> with older png (pre-change) ? The older package doesn't
> link against libpng12.

If part of the downstream png fix is to link against libpng12, then
gimp needs an override BUILDLINK_API_DEPENDS.png so that
USE_ABI_DEPENDS=3Dno has no effect for gimp.

> IGNORE_RECOMMENDED didn't work for me in past, and so I don't
> see how USE_ABI_DEPENDS would. Package authors depend
> in RECOMMENDED bump, and after I got difficult-to-track
> compile failures, I stopped using IGNORE_RECOMMENDED.

That's fine.  IGNORE_RECOMMENDED=3Dyes (and now USE_ABI_DEPENDS=3Dno) is
not exactly a fully supported option, as it's not guaranteed to work.=20
However, pkgsrc *can* be fixed to make it work where it is currently
broken, if the brokenness is reported.

That is NOT, however, a reason to stop bumping BUILDLINK_ABI_DEPENDS,
as that is required for default-build reproduceability.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>