Subject: Re: Using Xorg 6.8.2 with pkgsrc-current
To: Blair Sadewitz <sadewitz@gmail.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/21/2006 08:55:47
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Blair Sadewitz wrote:

> I am running amd64, and as my previous post said, I have a seemingly
> unresolvable problem with it.  6.8.2 works fine, but then I'm stuck
> with that pkgsrc tree.  Is there any way to override the
> dependency-checking mechanism and attempt to build/link new packages
> against Xorg 6.8.2, or do I have to choose between current or the old
> tree?  My intuition is that this cannot be done, but I figure I'd
> check; it would really be great if I could use X with current
> packages!

Yes, you could spend time keeping old versions of X. This could be done by
creating your own packages for this. Then providing a custom
mk/x11.version.mk and mk/bsd.prefs.mk to use your own X. (Set
X11_TYPE=oldxorg for example.)

Or you can build Xorg 6.8.2 from original source without any pkgsrc
(applying patches that are needed). And install outside of pkgsrc, like
/usr/X11R6 and the set your X11BASE and use X11_TYPE=native. That works
too.

(I do both of the above ideas -- but with new versions of X.)

For the amount of time you spend on working around the problem, it would
be better to contact the upstream developers via their bugzilla website or
their mailing list and asking for advice. It is likely that the problem is
already fixed and they can quickly point you to the patch.

 Jeremy C. Reed

echo ':6DB6=88>?;@69876tA=AC8BB5tA6487><' | tr '4-F' 'wu rofIn.lkigemca'