Subject: Re: Names of the patch files
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Georg Schwarz <georg.schwarz@freenet.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/19/2006 22:20:22
Am 19.04.2006 um 22:10 schrieb joerg@britannica.bec.de:

> I'd suggest to following rules, if we want rules at all:
> (1) Patches which are part of the normal package building are named
> patches/patch-[a-z][a-z]

I'd suggest to add the following aspects:

* patches start with patch-aa, then continue with patch-ab, patch-ac,
etc.
* When an existing patch becomes no longer necessary and is removed
this does not affect the names of the other existing patches, not
even if such patches are modified later on
* When a new patch is created, it is to be named as to fill existing
gaps in the naming order created by previously removed patches as
long as such gaps exist (at least that's how I think it has been done
so far)
* Each patch should modify only a single source file; in order to
modify several source files, multiple patches should be used.

--
Georg Schwarz    http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
georg.schwarz@freenet.de  +49 178 8545053