Subject: Re: Names of the patch files
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Georg Schwarz <georg.schwarz@freenet.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/19/2006 11:43:55
Am 19.04.2006 um 11:33 schrieb Roland Illig:

> I haven't found documentation on why the names are so restricted.
> When looking for a patch for a particular file, I have to look at
> every patch file to find it. To avoid that,

using grep should make that a non-issue

> I suggest that the patch file be named after the file that is
> patched, for example "patch-configure", "patch-foo.c".

we could run into problems when having to patch different files of
the same name (located in different subdirectories of the source tree)

> For this, the set of allowed characters should be extended to [-A-
> Za-z0-9_]. This would not allow the name "patch-foo.c", but that
> one could be transformed to "patch-foo_c" (to avoid having patch
> files with common filename extensions).
>
> Comments?

what would you do if the file to be patched has a name that does not
match [-A-Za-z0-9_]*?

--
Georg Schwarz    http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
georg.schwarz@freenet.de  +49 178 8545053