Subject: Names of the patch files
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Roland Illig <roland.illig@gmx.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/19/2006 11:33:31
Hi,

I'd like to ease the restrictions on the names of the patch files in the
patches/ directory. Currently, only the characters [A-Za-z0-9] are
allowed after the "patch-". Further, the convention has been established
to name the first patch "patch-aa", followed by "patch-ab", and so on.

I haven't found documentation on why the names are so restricted. When
looking for a patch for a particular file, I have to look at every patch
file to find it. To avoid that, I suggest that the patch file be named
after the file that is patched, for example "patch-configure",
"patch-foo.c".

For this, the set of allowed characters should be extended to
[-A-Za-z0-9_]. This would not allow the name "patch-foo.c", but that one
could be transformed to "patch-foo_c" (to avoid having patch files with
common filename extensions).

Comments?

Roland