Subject: Re: [IMMODEST PROPOSAL] Move xscreensaver and gnome-screensaver to games
To: walt <wa1ter@myrealbox.com>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/14/2006 22:19:23
--2iBwrppp/7QCDedR

On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 01:05:29PM -0700, walt wrote:
> I hate screensavers.  Does anyone here still actually use a
> screensaver?
>=20
> Not only does xscreensaver suck up valuable CPU cycles, it
> deliberately disables DPMS so that my monitor stays on all
> night just so it can support the parasitic activity of
> xscreensaver.
>=20
> I say it is time to acknowledge that screensavers have been
> made obsolete by (much) better technology, and move them to
> the world of entertainment, i.e. pkgsrc/games.
>=20
> I welcome any contrary opions.

if you don't like it, don't use it.  they provide a useful function, to
lock your unattended session.  i don't know about you but i just don't
feel comfortable leaving my computers unattended with unlocked X
sessions, ever.  (althought i personally prefer "xlock -mode blank").

i see no reason to move them out of x11 category.

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@{NetBSD,Xtrmntr,silcnet}.org>   --

--2iBwrppp/7QCDedR