Subject: Re: mawk-as-awk considered harmful for PLIST
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/13/2006 19:34:57
> 	miyu% echo "@dirrm xxx" | mawk '/^@dirrm ()/{print}'
> 	mawk: line 1: regular expression compile failed (missing operand)
> 	^@dirrm ()
>
> A fix was to nuke mawk and replace it with something working.

Thanks for the note.

I had been using mawk as awk for a couple years on my pkgsrc-based Linux
systems (but have not done pkgsrc builds on them for a few months).

So I went an installed nawk ...

/usr/bin/install -c -o root -g root -m 444
/tmp/pkgsrc/lang/nawk/work.montecristo/nawk.1 /usr/share/man/man1/nawk.1
awk: run time error: regular expression compile failed (missing operand)
^@dirrm ()$
        FILENAME="-" FNR=1 NR=1
===> [Automatic manual page handling]

And I do have an empty work/.PLIST like you said.

My workaround was:

  sudo ln -sf /usr/bin/nawk /usr/bin/awk
  bmake deinstall  # empty file list so doesn't delete :)
  rm work.montecristo/.PLIST
  bmake install

Can you send-pr this?

Thanks again,