Subject: Re: pkg_info: patch to create summary file
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/12/2006 12:02:06
hi,

> > How about a separate pkg-summary man page and a reference to it in
> >the pkg_info man page?  Putting a detailed description in the pkg_info
> >man page would be unwieldy.
>
> Well, the content is pretty much bound to pkg_info.

  Not really, pkg_info is just the tool to create the file.  The
intended use is pretty independent of pkg_info.  If I were to write a
program that uses the summary file, I would prefer not to have to dig
the documentation out of the pkg_info man page.  OTOH, if I wanted to
use pkg_install, I would not like to have to skip pages of (for me)
irrelevant file format description.  Large man pages are unwieldy.

> And I fear that the seperate file would go the way of packages(7)...

  If we put the man page inside src/usr.sbin/pkg_install, I guess it
would bit rot no more or less as a separate man page.

						yours,
						dillo