Subject: Re: pkg_info: patch to create summary file
To: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/12/2006 00:19:16
On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, Dieter Baron wrote:
>> 2) What is the intended use for this? Doesn't look like it can be
>>    fed into sh(1) at least...
>
>  As a summary of a binary package collection for use by tools like
> pkg_chk and pkg_select.  See the thread ``pkg summary file format
> proposal'' from February.

Thanks for the background information.
I have looked over your patch, and it seems fine.
The only thing that's not 100% clear to me is how the distinction between
an 'installed' package and one in a package is made - the fname variable
seems to be used here. If that assumption is right, maybe that should be
documented (i.e. add a comment), or another variable with a better name
could be used.

In general, the code seems to be under-commented, esp. that in var.c -
guessing what a function does is always painful to me.

  - Hubert