Subject: mk/tools/bootstrap.mk forces wrong tar
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/11/2006 13:22:38
Six months ago, I installed tar using bootstrap.

Today, unextracting new lyx tarball it failed with:
tar: Invalid header, starting valid header search.
tar: Invalid header, starting valid header search.
*** Error code 1

I was able to repeat it outside of pkgsrc. But using DragonFly's native
tar, it extracted fine.

So I moved my /home/reed/pkg/bin/tar out of the way but now I get:

/home/reed/pkgsrc/editors/lyx-qt/../../mk/scripts/extract:
/home/reed/pkg/bin/tar: not found
*** Error code 127

So I see that mk/tools/tools.DragonFly.mk has:

TOOLS_PLATFORM.tar?=            /usr/bin/tar

But it is not used because of mk/tools/bootstrap.mk which sets this first:

.elif ${OPSYS} == "DragonFly"
TOOLS_PLATFORM.pax?=            ${LOCALBASE}/bin/pax
TOOLS_PLATFORM.tar?=            ${LOCALBASE}/bin/tar

My workaround for now is to set "TOOLS_PLATFORM.tar=tar".

I see that mk/tools/bootstrap.mk says "This file should go away".

Should each mk/tools/tools.$OPSYS.mk just check for the existence of
native and if not then use the bootstrap version if it exists?

What is the plan?

 Jeremy C. Reed

echo ':6DB6=88>?;@69876tA=AC8BB5tA6487><' | tr '4-F' 'wu rofIn.lkigemca'