Subject: Re: PHP - problems with pear install & gd dependancy (+ fix)
To: Dave Tyson <>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/01/2006 19:19:29

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 11:58:22AM +0000, Dave Tyson wrote:
> After a lot of messing about I looked at the pear script in /usr/pkg/bin.=
> sets a few variables and then finally calls php so:
> exec $PHP -C -q $INCARG -d output_buffering=3D1 -n $INCDIR/pearcmd.php "$=
> However a quick look at the php man pages shows the -n option tells php
> 'No php.ini file will be used'

Yes - our pear package explicitly turns off parsing php.ini, because
that breaks pear module installation when safe_mode or open_basedir.
> If you remove the -n option in the line then the pear install works fine =
> the php.ini file is read and shows that gd is registered.=20
> I don't much about php, but this looks like a bug in the pear script - ca=
> someone who knows a bit more about php confirm this and I will send-pr it=
> (unless they get there first)

This is not bug in NetBSD, so don't send via send-pr to us.

Send the bug report upstream, either to PHP maintainers or pear
maintainers - perhaps they would finally add 'ignore safe-mode
settings only' command line switch finally (they refused last time
I reported similar problem).

Jaromir Dolecek <>
-=3D- We can walk our road together if our goals are all the same;     -=3D-
-=3D- We can run alone and free if we pursue a different aim.          -=3D-

MessageID: EXVA0VOb9mDDz5IkeQuV9KZaleg+p5WG