Subject: Re: Future of the www/mozilla* packages (vs. seamonkey)
To: Vincent <>
From: Geert Hendrickx <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/30/2006 17:09:00
On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 04:39:15PM +0200, Vincent wrote:
> I too. But I had not even noticed that the suite had changed name.  So,
> I'm quite interested in what will be going next.

The Mozilla Foundation decided to stop developing the Suite in favour of
Firefox and Thunderbird, but quite quickly a community was formed to
continue the suite (under a different name).  They can still use Mozilla's
infrastructure (hosting etc) though.  Hence Seamonkey 1.0 is what would
normally have become Mozilla 1.8 (which was never released).

See for more info about the
project.  The packages are in pkgsrc-wip: seamonkey, seamonkey-gtk and