Subject: Future of the www/mozilla* packages (vs. seamonkey)
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/30/2006 09:24:06
Hi,

I don't know how many people still use the Mozilla Suite, but I do, so I
care. :-)

I've packaged Mozilla Seamonkey (the continuation of the Mozilla Suite) in
pkgsrc-wip a while ago (with -gtk1 and -bin versions), and it seems to work
quite well (I've been using them daily ever since).  Improvements over
Mozilla 1.7 are the same as Firefox 1.0->1.5 and Thunderbird 1.0->1.5.

Since the Mozilla Foundation will not develop the Mozilla Suite any longer,
are we going to keep the www/mozilla* packages in pkgsrc?  Or will we
replace them by (upgrade them to) seamonkey* in the longer run?  (then,
under the name seamonkey or mozilla?)  Or do we want them both, for now?

If I'd be importing the seamonkey* packages into pkgsrc, I'd be importing
them as-is.  Obviously, the seamonkey* packages copied a lot of structure
from mozilla*, but I'm not going to split that out in a Makefile.common.

	Geert