Subject: Re: BUILDLINK_DEPENDS.expat
To: =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Joachim_K=F6nig-Baltes?= <joachim.koenig-baltes@emesgarten.de>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/25/2006 08:45:07

--0-1275607142-1143305107=:10693

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, [ISO-8859-15] Joachim K=F6nig-Baltes wrote:

> Could we also try to record when it is save to rebuild and install
> a package without rebuilding the packages that require it,
> so that "make replace" is no longer experimental and could be applied
> automatically during a recursive "make update" if the dependencies
> allow for it?

We can't easily really know (for "make replace") what a package provides=20
before installation (especially for various platforms). I guess one idea=20
would be the pkgsrc MAINTAINER to build and install package and then add=20
the data from the PROVIDES directly into the pkgsrc package's Makefile.=20
Then it could be used at "make replace" by checking all installed packages=
=20
to make sure the new version to be installed is adequate. (Of course there=
=20
could be other changes that could make the replaced package incompatible,=
=20
but it might help.)

For binary package replacing (which I do very often with pkg_add -u and my=
=20
custom pkg_add -o for overwrite), we already have some of this information=
=20
when you have PKG_DEVELOPER=3Dyes defined. In this case, it records the=20
SONAME provided and/or needed information. The problem is that we don't=20
have anything coded that will test these PROVIDES and REQUIRES settings.

 Jeremy C. Reed

echo ':6DB6=3D88>?;@69876tA=3DAC8BB5tA6487><' | tr '4-F' 'wu rofIn.lkigemca=
'
--0-1275607142-1143305107=:10693--