Subject: Re: pkginstall framework changes
To: Stephan Thesing <>
From: Johnny Lam <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/15/2006 10:17:14
Stephan Thesing wrote:
> Hello,
> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Johnny Lam wrote:
>> Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 09:17:42 -0500
>> From: Johnny Lam <>
>> To: Stephan Thesing <>
>> Cc: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <>
>> Subject: Re: pkginstall framework changes
> [...]
>> Your analysis is exactly right.  I think we should just generate
>> install scripts not during the build phase, but "just after" the build
>> phase.  I had originally put it into post-build when I started out
>> because I was hesitant to add another layer between "build" and
>> "install", but I think we're beyond that now.
> what would be wrong with doing that at pre-install: time?

It's a question of the ownership on the created files.  The "install"
phase is run as the root user while all the preceding phases are run as
a normal user.  Having files owned by root in the work directory
complicates some ancillary steps, like "make clean".  Also, just in
general, we'd like to do fewer things as root.

	-- Johnny Lam <>